Department Manager, Outdoor Home and Decor
Would you look good in purple?
TERRA is one of Southern Ontario’s premier destinations for everything for the garden and beyond. We are recognized as a leader in innovative merchandising and retailing of products and services that are designed for today’s styles and lifestyles. We foster a work environment that is inspirational and empowering and are constantly searching for people who look good in purple and who make purple look good. At TERRA, we provide an opportunity to plant roots and grow a career with a colourful future.
Our Milton location is looking for a sales-focused Department Manager for our Outdoor Home and Décor department. The successful candidate will be responsible for our very popular dry goods department, which includes a range of products, from outdoor furniture and pottery to table top décor and apparel. This full-time hourly leadership role is responsible for ensuring exceptional customer service, smooth daily and seasonal operations, and of course, maximizing sales.
As the Department Manager you will also be responsible for:
- Monitoring sales activities to ensure sales opportunities are maximized and that customers receive excellent service and quality goods; ensuring your team is aligned in this goal.
- Acting on customer feedback and responding to local competition.
- Providing excellent internal and external customer service and serving as a role model to other team members; building and maintaining longstanding customer relationships.
- Supervising, coaching, and supporting employee growth.
- Ensuring team members are trained in product knowledge, product features and benefits, and related products to meet all of our customer needs and inquiries; ensuring team members have beginner knowledge of products and services offered in other departments
- Fostering a positive and energetic atmosphere in the department, with peers, supervisors, and towards all aspects of the position.
- Maintaining a culture built on transparency by encouraging constructive, honest, two-way feedback with the team.
Relevant knowledge, skills, abilities, and other attributes:
- Sales focus in fast paced/high volume setting; ability to meet the needs of several customers/stakeholders at once.
- Proven record of developing strategies, setting and implementing action plans and budgets, and following up goals.
- Experience in managing a team, preferably in a big box or large-scale retail environment.
- A solution oriented leadership approach, motivating team members to build and grow the ultimate retail shopping experience.
- Ability to engage people by clearly communicating and getting buy-in at all organizational levels.
- Exceptional organizational skills, space and time management skills.
- Approachability, sincerity, and excellent listening skills.
- Positive attitude; willingness and eagerness to embrace the learning curve.
- Capacity to stand and walk for long periods, lift up to 30lbs, reach above shoulder height and below waist level, crouching, kneeling, bending, and comfort learning and using equipment as needed; able to work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Working knowledge/education of plant health is an asset.
- An interest in home décor, for both indoor and outdoor living.
- Competitive, employer paid premium benefits program for you and your eligible dependents.
- Guaranteed full time hours with seasonal flexibility so you can balance your work and non-work lives.
- Variety of perks, incentives, and Employee Discount Program.
- Opportunities for growth and advancement.
- Individualize training and development programs.
- Positive, fun, and creative work environment and community.
TERRA embraces diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and invite any and all qualified applicants. We are pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, within our recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources email@example.com or 905-689-8665 x285.