Assistant Department Manager, Greenhouse
Would you look good in purple?
At TERRA we’re more than just flowers. We provide an opportunity to plant roots and grow a career with a colourful future.
Nothing screams Fresh quite like locally grown product. At TERRA we are pleased to bring you the freshest plant material available straight from our own production facilities. TERRA is Southern Ontario’s premier destination for everything for the garden and beyond. We are recognized as a leader in innovative merchandising and retailing of products and services that are designed for today’s styles and lifestyles. We foster a work environment that is inspirational and empowering and are constantly searching for people who look good in purple and who make purple look good.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity for an individual looking to build their career in retail. Yes, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the Department Manager in the Greenhouse department at our Hamilton retail location. This full time, permanent role will provide an opportunity to demonstrate your customer service commitment, and drive to learn and develop your skills. We are looking for a team player who values team members and has pride in what they do. Help us continue to be one of Southern Ontario’s best places to work.
TERRA employs people who love what they do and are able to inspire others with that passion. We work hard but also take work-life balance seriously.
As the Assistant Department Manager you will be responsible for:
- Providing excellent internal and external customer service and serving as a role model to other team members
- Building and maintaining longstanding customer relationships
- Monitoring sales activities to ensure sales opportunities are maximized and that customers receive excellent service and quality goods; ensuring your team is aligned in this goal
- Training, supervising, and supporting employee growth
- Fostering a positive and energetic atmosphere in the department, with peers, supervisors, and towards all aspects of the position
- Supporting the Department Manager in ensuring team members are trained in product knowledge, product features and benefits, and related products to meet all of our customer needs and inquiries; ensuring team members have beginner knowledge of products and services offered in other departments
Successful TERRA team members possess:
- Excellent communication with all organizational levels
- Customer service and sales focus in fast paced/high volume setting; ability to meet the needs of several customers at once
- Exceptional organizational skills, understanding that success is in the details
- A solution oriented leadership approach, motivating team members to build and grow the ultimate retail shopping experience
- Approachability, sincerity, and excellent listening skills
- Curiousity and a desire for continuous learning
- Positive attitude and willingness to embrace the learning curve
- Capacity to stand and walk for long periods, lift up to 30lbs, reach above shoulder height and below waist level, crouching, kneeling, bending, and comfort learning and using equipment as needed; able to work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Working knowledge/education of plant health is an asset
- Competitive benefits program for you and your eligible dependents
- Variety of perks, incentives, and Employee Discount Program
- Flexible work schedule
- Opportunities for growth and advancement
- Individualize training and development programs
- Positive, fun, and creative work environment and community
TERRA embraces diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and invite any and all qualified applicants. We are pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, within our recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources.