Assistant Store Manager
TERRA is one of Southern Ontario’s premier destination for everything for the garden and beyond. Recognized as a leader in innovative merchandising and retailing of products and services designed for today’s styles and lifestyles. If you want to be a part of the future of retailing consider joining our high performance team. TERRA employs people who love what they do. We work hard but value balance and well-being.
Our Milton location has an immediate opening for a ‘hands-on’ Retail Operations Assistant Store Manager. This position requires exceptional leadership skills to drive and inspire our team to excellence in service and retailing. As the Assistant Store Manager, you will:
- Under the guidance of the Store Manager, recruit, train, develop and retain a highly engaged and customer focused team.
- Provide ongoing coaching to address performance gaps
- Follow performance management processes consistently, impartially, and in a timely and professional manner
- Hold team accountable to their job descriptions and performance expectations
- Support a high performance management team with succession top of mind
- Assist Store Manager to ensure store operations, profitability and service standards expectations are met
- Execute store progression plan within the framework of short term and long term corporate objectives. Be able to adjust to the changing needs of the organization
- Ability execute frequent seasonal change overs
- Responsible to deliver on sales targets, operational objectives, and wage budgets
- Ensure excellence in Health and Safety records
- Be a brand ambassador. Train and lead your employees to view the business through the eye of the consumer
- Engage our external and internal customers on a personal level
- Lead by example, consistently coach, and always follow up to ensure customer service standards are achieved
- Exhibit exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to build rapport with internal and external customers and with all levels within the organization
- Be able to adjust communication style to a variety of backgrounds, generations, and levels of ability and all organizational levels
Unique Personal Skills
- Fully understands how to balance business demands and team dynamics and explore growth opportunities
- Innovative and progressive thinking, courage and confidence to think and act outside the box
- Strong desire and ability to create a work culture that promotes creativity, respect, inclusion, and accountability
- Positive leader who is driven by entrepreneurial spirit and who is searching for an opportunity to fulfil their drive in a unique, challenging, and supportive environment
- Enjoys working outside in all seasons, in all weather conditions, and with a willing and eager demeanour
- Physically capable of lifting up to 30 lbs, repeated movements, and capable of being on your feet for extended periods
- Able to consistently work a variety of shifts, including weekends and evenings.
- Demonstrates poise during stressful situations and during difficult conversations
- Be the person that people look forward to seeing every morning
- 2 years progressive management/supervisory experience in a fast-paced retail environment.
- Live goods industry experience is a strong asset
- Proven ability to bring a plan to completion
- Preferred post-secondary education in Retail Management, related disciplines, or equivalent experience.
- Individualized and comprehensive training and development program
- Growth opportunities in career development
- Generous employer-paid benefit program for you and your eligible dependents
- Variety of perks, incentives, and Employee Discount Program
- Flexible work schedule
- Fun, creative, positive work environment
TERRA embraces diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and invite any and all qualified applicants. We are pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, within our recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources.