Nursery and Perennial Department Manager
This is an exciting and unique opportunity for a retail professional who is looking for a dynamic and rewarding experience. Yes, the successful candidate will be responsible for the Nursery and Perennial Department at our Vaughan location. This is not your ordinary retail job – you have the opportunity to work with live product, work indoors and outdoors, and lead a diverse and driven team. This role will provide an opportunity to demonstrate your customer service commitment, and initiative to learn and develop your skills. We are looking for a team player who values team members and has pride in what they do.
TERRA Greenhouses is Southern Ontario’s favourite retailer for everything garden and beyond. We are recognized as a leader in innovative merchandising and retailing of products and services that are designed for today’s styles and lifestyles. We foster a work environment that is inspirational and empowering and are constantly searching for people who can continue to cultivate and enhance this environment.
As the Department Manager you will be responsible for:
- Monitoring sales activities to ensure sales opportunities are maximized and that customers receive excellent service and quality goods; ensuring your team is aligned in this goal.
- Managing perishable product quality and flow by anticipating need, ordering and managing products accordingly, monitoring quality and actioning maintenance measures where needed.
- Providing excellent internal and external customer service and serving as a role model to other team members.
- Building and maintaining longstanding customer relationships.
- Interviewing, training, supervising, and developing employees.
- Ensuring team members are trained in product knowledge, care and maintenance, product features and benefits, and related products to meet all of our customer needs and inquiries; ensuring team members have beginner knowledge of products and services offered in other departments.
- Fostering a positive and energetic atmosphere in the department, with peers, supervisors, and towards all aspects of the position.
- Performing all tasks according to best health and safety practices while ensuring others do the same.
Successful TERRA team members possess:
- Proven supervising experience in a customer focused environment; ability to manage and coordinate multiple tasks and multiple team members at one time.
- Customer service and sales focus in fast paced/high volume setting; ability to meet the needs of several customers at once.
- Excellent communication with all organizational levels.
- Exceptional organizational skills; ability to effectively plan physical space, time, and labour.
- A solution oriented leadership approach, motivating team members to build and grow the ultimate retail shopping experience.
- Approachability, sincerity, and excellent listening skills.
- Curiousity and a desire for continuous learning.
- Positive attitude and willingness to embrace the learning curve.
- Capacity to stand and walk for long periods, lift up to 30lbs, repeated movements, bending, crouching, kneeling, and comfort learning and using equipment as needed.
- Working knowledge/education of plant health is an asset.
- Competitive benefits program for you and your eligible dependents.
- Variety of perks, incentives, and Employee Discount Program.
- Opportunities for growth and advancement.
- Individualize training and development programs.
- Positive, fun, and creative work environment and community.
TERRA embraces diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and invite any and all qualified applicants. We are pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, within our recruitment process. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.